Cleveland Field is named after the late Dr. A.G. Cleveland who was Superintendent of the Valdosta City School System from 1919 until 1949. Although constructed in 1922, the field was not officially named until 1923.
He believed firmly in physical exercise and regularly cut the grass on the grounds of the old Valdosta High building before the days of power mowers. He was a strong supporter of all athletic teams during his 30 years as Superintendent.
In a resolution presented by the Valdosta Touchdown Club, the Board of Education officially named the stadium at Cleveland Field, Bazemore-Hyder Stadium on September 9th, 1996. Coaches Wright Bazemore (1941-1942,1946-1971) and Nick Hyder (1974-1995) combined for fifty years of service to our youth and community. Under their leadership, the Wildcats won six national titles, 21 of their 23 state titles and 282 Cleveland Field victories.
Cleveland Field Prior to 2004